What is the Sonnet Project?
For the entire year leading up to Shakespeare’s 450th birthday, the Sonnet Project will release, to a global audience, internet videos of all 154 sonnets, performed by 154 different actors in 154 unique locations throughout the five boroughs of New York City. The culmination of the project will be marked by the release of a full Sonnet Project Anthology, complete with special features exploring the textual nuances of the language, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with the creators and actors.
Throughout the release year, the Sonnet Project will:
• create an interactive Sonnet Project website available to educators and Shakespeare-lovers of all ages.
• develop a Sonnet Project mobile app for the delivery of each new sonnet video, which will provide access to text analysis and information about the NYC film locations.
• introduce sonnet-based walking tours of NYC neighborhoods.
• host Sonnet Project scavenger hunts making use of QR codes and mobile technology.
• present sonnet-based events that will bring together artists of all kinds to explore the poetry through a variety of styles and approaches
By developing this intensive program, the Sonnet Project will extend their reach to a global audience, and provide access to Shakespeare on a day-to-day basis. Their goal is to reach an audience of 1,000,000 by Shakespeare’s 450th birthday.
Please enjoy Sonnet #146 Charging Bull, Wall Street, Manhattan. We think these Actors do “The Bard of Avon” some serious justice!
Visit the website where you can read more about the project, watch more Sonnets and download the Sonnet Project mobile app!